We had a bit of an omelet disaster a few weeks ago, basically, an omelet that ended up scrambled eggs (we've all been there). . . well steven (the resident omelet chef) was not pleased.
He decided his downfall was due to too much stuff in the eggs and no big spatula. . .so when we went out to the Tanger Outlets last weekend, he picked up this bad boy at Le Gourmet Chef (http://www.legourmetchef.com/)- 4 bucks for a mario batali spatula- not bad. . .
And let me tell you- it did the trick- see for yourself:
Here were the steps used to make this perfect omelet:
1) crack and wisk three eggs in a bowl and salt and pepper to taste
2) grate a healthy pile of cheese
3) sautee one thinly sliced shallot and then add chopped spinach in a non-stick skillet
4) when spinach is soft but still bright green, pour in the eggs
5) let eggs cook for a few minutes until the bottom is cooked and take spatula around the outside edge and lift the edges of the eggs from the skillet
6) pull the edge of one side of the omelet off the edge and tilt skillet so some of the uncooked egg mixture gets underneath and let that cook. do the same on the other side.
7) after going around the edge again with the spatula, work the spatula underneath the eggs and flip it over
8) while that side is cooking, add the cheese to one side
9) fold over onto the cheese side
Plate and serve!